Timur Novikov

Born: 1958, Leningrad
Died: 2002, St Petersburg

Painter. Born in the family of Pyotr Novikov at the Snegirevskaya Hospital on Mayakovsky Street in Leningrad (1958). Studied drawing at the Dzerzhinsky District House of Pioneers and Schoolchildren in Leningrad (1965) and the Club of Young Art Historians at the Russian Museum (1972–75). Member of Boris Koshelokhov’s Letopis group (1977). Met Maria Spendiarova, former student of Vladimir Favorsky and Mikhail Larionov (1980). Studied the writings of Boris Rauschenbach, influencing his own theory of semantic perspective. Employed by the Russian Museum (1980–82). Founded the New Artists (1982), Club of Friends of Vladimir Mayakovsky (1985 or 1986) and the New Academy of Fine Arts (1990). Produced the New Composers group. Collaborated with Sergei Kuryokhin and the Popular Mechanics group. Worked with members of rock group Kino, invented such musical instruments as the “ironon” (with Ivan Sotnikov) and the “long string.” Created the New Theatre (1983). Won the Nika Prize for artistic design of Sergei Solovyov’s film Assa (1987). Headed the department of painting at the Free University (1988). Formulated the Neo-Academist movement orientated on ancient aesthetics. Founded the New Academy of Fine Arts (1989). Studied under Pontus Hulten at the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris (1991). Editor of the scientific research magazine for modern art, philosophy and psychiatry Cabinet (from 1991). One-man shows at the Düsseldorf Kunsthalle and Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam (1993). Opened study classes at the New Academy of Fine Arts on 10 Pushkin Street (1993), New Academy of Fine Arts Museum (1994) and St Michael’s Castle (1997). Published the Artistic Will newspaper with Andrei Khlobystin (from 1997) and Great Artistic Will (from 1999). Won the Pollock-Krasner and Villeroy & Boch Prizes (1998). Wrote a letter to Hermitage director Mikhail Piotrovsky and Autobiography (1998). Died in St Petersburg (2002). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1983), including a retrospective at the Russian Museum in St Petersburg (1998).

Random articles