Fyodor Brullov

Born: 1793, St Petersburg
Died: 1869, St Petersburg

Painter, draughtsman, teacher. Half-brother of Alexander Brullov and Karl Brullov. Great-grandson of Hans Georg Brüllo, an ornamental sculptor descended from a family of French Huguenots (Brulleau) who emigrated to Lüneburg in Lower Saxony (1685) and moved to St Petersburg to work at the Imperial Porcelain Factory (1773). Born as Friedrich Brüllo in St Petersburg (1793) to Paul Brüllo (academician of ornamental sculpture) and his first wife (maiden name Krautwedel). Studied under his father at home and under Andrei Ivanov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1803–15). Awarded a second silver medal (1811), first silver medal (1814), first gold medal (1815) and first-class certificate (1815). Declined a foreign fellowship and remained in St Petersburg, teaching drawing to members of the Russian nobility and working at a finishing school for girls (from 1817). Painted a plafond and four icons for the Admiralty (1816) and icons for St Catherine’s Cathedral in Tsarskoe Selo (1823–24), Church of the Presentation of the Virgin (1837–42), St Isaac’s Cathedral (late 1850s) and St Catherine’s Chapel at the Imperial Academy of Arts. Granted permission to change his name to Fyodor Brullov (1822). Academician (1834), professor (1858). Travelled round Europe (1853).

Random articles