Russia St Petersburg Architecture Building St Petersburg City Duma

St Petersburg City Duma

Founded on the basis of Catherine the Great’s Charter to the Towns, granting limited municipal self-administration (1785). Located in a building by an unknown architect on Nevsky Prospekt (1784–87) replacing the Guild House and trading counters on Gostinaya (Duma) Street (1750s). Adjoined and repeated the forms of the Silver Arcades designed by Giacomo Quarenghi on Nevsky Prospekt. Tower added by Giacomo Jacopo Ferrari (1799–1804). Used as an optical telegraph stations (1830s–50s) and a fire lookout tower (1850s–1920s). Reconstructed by Nikolai Yefimov and Ludwig Bohnstedt (1848–52). Fourth and fifth floors added by Johann Heinrich von Kelchen (1913–14).

Random articles