Rybnaya Sloboda

Peter the Great transferred the fishermen from the various crown lands to this district near St Petersburg, which became known as Rybnaya Sloboda (1716). The local factory produced the bricks used to build the city of St Petersburg. Peter always visited Rybnaya Sloboda on his annual visits to Schlüsselburg. A palace and a menagerie were built there during the reign of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. The village was renamed Rybatskoe (1829).

Random articles