Mykola Pymonenko

Born: 1862, Kiev
Died: 1912, Kiev

Painter, graphic artist, teacher. Born to icon-painter Kornilo Pymonenko in the suburb of Pryorka in Kiev (1862). Helped his father to decorate local churches and trained in an icon-painting studio at the Kiev Monastery of the Caves (1873–76). Studied under Józef-Kazimierz Budkiewicz and Khariton Platonov at the Nikolai Murashko School of Drawing in Kiev (1876–82) and under Volodymyr Orlovsky at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1882–84). Forced by poor health to leave the Academy with the title of teacher of drawing and returned to Kiev (1884), where he taught at the Nikolai Murashko School of Drawing (1884–1900) and Kiev Polytechnic Institute (1900–12) and helped to found the Kiev School of Art (1901). Member of the Münchner Künstlergenossenschaft (1887), Fellowship of South Russian Artists (1895), Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1899) and Union internationale des beaux-arts et des lettres in Paris (1909). Honorary free member of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1891), academician (1904). Painted icons and frescoes for St Vladimir’s Cathedral in Kiev (1890s). Married Volodymyr Orlovsky’s foster daughter Alexandra (1893). Collaborated with the Community of St Eugene (1903). Died in Kiev and buried at Lukianov Cemetery (1912). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1885). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1885–93), Fellowship of South Russian Artists (1891–96), Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1893–1911), Salon des artistes français (1909, gold medal), international exhibitions in Berlin, Paris, London and Rome (from 1907) and posthumous one-man shows in St Petersburg (1913) and Moscow (1916).

Random Articles

Wife
Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna
In 1817, the future Tsar Nicholas I married the nineteen-year-old daughter of King Frederick William III of Prussia, Princess Fredericke Luise Charlotte Wilhelmine, who converted to Orthodoxy as Alexandra Fyodorovna. The young
Cathedral
Prince Vladimir Cathedral
The first place of worship in the “Mokrushki” district  – a low-lying area subject to flooding – on Petersburg Island was a wooden Church of St Nicholas (1708). Replaced by the Dormition Cathedral (1713–19). A new stone
Architecture
Coffer
Sunken panel in the shape of a square, rectangle or octagon, mostly found on a flat ceiling or on the interior surface of a dome. Employed as a form of decoration and to lighten the weight of the
Palace
Palace of Count Burkhard Christoph von Münnich
Domenico Trezzini built “chambers for an aristocrat” on the embankment of Vasilyevsky Island (1718). Acquired by the vice-chancellor Count Heinrich Johann Friedrich Ostermann (1721). Reconstructed and expanded (probably by Ivan
Monastery
Optina Hermitage
The Optina Hermitage of the Presentation of the Virgin lies approximately two miles from the town of Kozelsk in Kaluga Region. Although the cloister stands on the bank of the River Zhizdra, surrounded by the Optina Forest,