Russia Culture Symbols

Symbols

all ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
0123456789
Total: 4 itemsDisplaying: 1 - 4 items
  • Cap of Monomachus

    The cap of Monomachus was part of the regalia of the grand princes and tsars of Russia. This was a golden crown trimmed with sable and decorated with precious stones and a cross. One legend claims tha...

    Read more...
  • Double-Headed Eagle

    In 1497, Grand Prince Ivan III established the first official coat of arms of Russia. The prince regarded himself as the successor to the Byzantine emperors and adopted their emblem of a black double-...

    Read more...
  • National Anthem

    The first Russian national anthem was written by composer Prince Alexander Lvov and poet Vasily Zhukovsky. Composed in December 1833, it began with the words “God save the Tsar.” In 1918, the Internat...

    Read more...
  • Tsar Cannon

    In 1586, the foundry man Andrei Chokhov (Chekhov) cast the world’s largest cannon in Moscow. The barrel was 5.34 meters long, weighed an impressive forty tons and had an incredible calibre of 890 mill...

    Read more...

Random Articles

Empire
Ivan Martos
Sculptor, teacher. Father-in-law of Alexei Yegorov. Studied under Nicolas-François Gillet and Louis Rolland at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1764–73). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Rome (1773–79), where he studied
Figurative
Tiger
Circle of Artists
Alexander Rusakov
Painter. Born in the family of Isaac Rusakov in the town of Sevsk in Oryol Province (1898). Studied under Nikolai Dubovskoi, Dmitry Kardovsky and Osip Braz at the Petrograd Free Art Studios/VKhUTEMAS (1918–24). Member of the
Square
Palace Square
Main square in the city. Named after the Winter Palace on the north of the square. Originally part of Admiralty Meadow, lying between the bastions of Admiralty Fortress and Meadow (Millionnaya) Street. Given a semi-circular
Mansion
Mansion of Nikolai Chicherin
Built possibly by Savva Chevakinsky (1768–71) on the site of the temporary wooden Winter Palace of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna designed by Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli (1755). The plot of land was presented by Catherine the