Yury Pimenov

Born: 1903, Moscow
Died: 1977, Moscow

Painter, graphic artist, theatrical designer, teacher. Born in the family of a lawyer called Ivan Pimenov in Moscow (1903). Studied painting and graphic art under Vladimir Favorsky, Vadim Falieyev and Sergei Malyutin at the VKhUTEMAS in Moscow (1920–25). Founding member of the Society of Easel Artists (1925), member of the Art Brigade (1931). Designer and director of theatres in Moscow (1937, 1945–46). Worked for the Russian Telegraph Agency (1941–45). Taught at the Institute for Raising Artists’ Qualifications (1936–37) and the All-Union State Institute of Cinematography (1945–72), professor (1947). Corresponding member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1954), Honoured Artist of the RSFSR (1957 OR 1967). Died in Moscow and buried at the Novodevichy Cemetery (1977). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1924), including with Alexander Deineka and Andrei Goncharov as the Group of Three at the First Discussion Exhibition of Unifications of Active Revolutionary Art (1924) and My Collection by the Elena Zenina Gallery of Arts in the Central House of the Artist at 10 Krymsky Val in Moscow (2011).

Random Articles

19th Century
Andrei Voronikhin
Architect, painter, draughtsman. Born in Novoe Usolye in Perm Province in the family of a serf of Count Alexander Stroganov called Nikifor Voronikhin (1759). Emancipated from serfdom (1786). Studied under Matvei Kazakov and
Art Nouveau
Serge Tchekhonine
Painter, graphic artist, applied artist, illustrator, theatrical designer, teacher. Born in the family of a train driver called Vasily Chekhonin in the village of Valdaika in Novgorod Province (now Lykoshino in Tver Region) on
Landscape
Ivan Ivanov
Painter. Studied under Maxim Vorobyov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1844). Awarded a minor silver medal (1844) and a major silver medal (1845). Worked for the postal department in St Petersburg. Painted landscapes and
Building
General Headquarters
Built by Carlo Rossi during reconstruction of Palace Square (1819–29). The eastern wing between the Choral Bridge and Bolshaya Morskaya Street housed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Finance. The western wing
Palace
Summer Palace of Elizabeth Petrovna
Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli began laying the foundations of a new wooden palace for the regent of Ivan VI, Anna Leopoldovna, in the Third Summer Garden on the bank of the River Fontanka (1741). Construction continued after