The Premier Site for Russian Culture
Second permanent bridge across the River Neva, joining Liteiny Prospekt and the Vyborg Side. Built by architect Carl Rachau and engineer Amand Struve (1875–79) on the site of a pontoon bridge (1851). Steel was widely used for the first time as a support material. Electric lighting was installed for the first time ever on a bridge (1879). Called the Emperor Alexander II Bridge (1903–17).