Russia St Petersburg Architecture Palace Palace of Count Alexei Razumovsky

Palace of Count Alexei Razumovsky

Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli rebuilt a large wooden palace on the River Moika for Count von Löwenwolde, a favourite of Empress Anna Ioannovna (1730s). Later acquired by Kirill Razumovsky, hetman of the Ukraine and president of the Imperial Academy of Sciences. The old palace was dismantled (1760) and replaced with a stone building designed by Alexander Kokorinov (1762). Construction was completed by Jean-Baptiste-Michel Vallin de la Mothe (1766). Housed the Foundling Hospital (1798) and later the Nicholas Institute for Orphaned Girls.

Random articles