The first arsenals were built in the Peter and Paul Fortress, Admiralty Fortress and on Kronstadt (1703–05). Engineer Georg Wilhelm de Hennin designed the Foundry on the left bank of the River Neva (1711–12). A wooden Cannon Yard was built on the eastern side of the road leading towards Nevsky Prospekt – the future Liteiny Prospekt (1714). Replaced by the stone building of the Main (Old) Arsenal (1774–77). The District Court moved into the Old Arsenal (1851). Fyodor Demertsov built the New Arsenal on the other side of Liteiny Prospekt (1798–1810).

Random articles