One of the first industrial enterprises in the city. Founded on the left bank of the River Neva (1711). Construction of a wooden cannon foundry was headed by engineer Georg Wilhelm de Hennin and then Jacob Daniel Bruce (from 1713). First copper cannons were cast there (1713). Ground floor was used as a storehouse, while the first floor contained furnaces, workshops and premises for calibrating shells. Rebuilt in stone (1732–35). Main wing was dismantled giving Liteiny Prospekt access to the River Neva (1851). Wooden Cannon Yard was built for storing produce, memorabilia, trophies and banners (1714). Dismantled and replaced by a stone building known as the Main Arsenal (1777). Included the Business Yard – later renamed the New Cannon Yard – which housed the Chancellery of Artillery and Fortifications, workshops, warehouses, cellars and apartments. Fyodor Demertsov designed the New Arsenal (1798–1810), later reconstructed (1864–70).

Random articles