River Moika

Flowed out of a swamp near the Field of Mars (early 18th century). Joined to the Anonymous Creek to the south of the Summer Garden (1711). Originally called the Mya after the Izhorian word for “mire.” Wooden embankments built (1720s). Bottom deepened (1736–37). Granite embankments built from the River Fontanka to English Prospekt on the left bank and to the Kryukov Canal on the right bank (1798–1811). Fourteen bridges cross the river.

Random articles