Field of Mars

The Field of Mars is a wide meadow in the centre of St Petersburg, lying between the Summer Garden, Marble Palace and the Pauline Guards Barracks. In the eighteenth century, it was used to hold various public events. Originally called the Large Meadow, it was renamed first Tsaritsa Meadow and then, in 1818, the Field of Mars. The monument to Count Alexander Suvorov and the monument to Fieldmarshal Pyotr Rumyantsev (the latter was later transferred to Vasilyevsky Island) were established in the vicinity in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when the Field of Mars was used to hold military parades.

Random articles