Georg Wilhelm Timm

Born: 1820, Sorgenfrei (near Riga)
Died: 1895, Berlin

Painter, graphic artist, engraver, illustrator, ceramist. Son of Friedrich Gottlieb Timm (mayor of Riga) and brother of Emilija Timm (briefly wife of Karl Brullov). Studied battle painting under Alexander Gottlob Sauerweid at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1835–39). Awarded a minor silver medal (1837) and a large silver medal (1839). Travelled to Dresden and Teplice to observe the sites of the Battle of Kulm and the Battle of Leipzig (1839). Took up lithography (1840) and illustrated satirical books and magazines (1840–44). Awarded an imperial pension to live and work in Paris (1843), where he studied under Horace Vernet (1844–48) and visited Algeria (1845). Forced to return to Russia following the outbreak of the February revolution (1848). Fought with the Russian army in the Caucasian War (1849–50). Accompanied Tsar Nicholas I to Haapsalu, Reval and Helsinki (1852). Took part in the Crimean War (1854–55) and was elected an academician of battle painting for graphic works depicting the defence of Sebastopole (1855). Published the Russian Art Leaflet (1851–62) and attended the Academy Fridays (1857–62). Developed his own method of lithography (1861). Lived and worked in Berlin (1867–95), where he took up ceramics after his sight began to fail (1870) and was elected a professor of the Preußische Akademie der Künste. Contributed to exhibitions (from the 1840s). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1840s–50s), Paris Salon (1844, 1848) and retrospectives in Riga (1906, 1951).

Random Articles

Church
Church of St Panteleimonos
A wooden Chapel of St Panteleimonos the Healer and Great Martyr was built at the Particular Shipyard (1718) to celebrate the Russian naval victories over Sweden at the Battle of Hangö (1714) and Battle of Granhamn (1720), which
Neoclassical
Nikolai Argunov
Painter. Son of Ivan Argunov. Studied art under his father and copied West European paintings in the Hermitage. Freed from serfdom (1816). Academician (1818). Painted miniature
Fire-Colour
Leonid Chupyatov
Painter, graphic artist, theatrical designer, book designer, illustrator, teacher. Born in the family of Terenty Chupyatov in St Petersburg (1890). Studied at the private studios of Jan Ciaglińskj and Mikhail Bernstein (from
Theatre
Mariinsky Theatre
Empress Elizabeth Petrovna issued a decree establishing the first Russian ballet company (1742). Foundation of an open Russian Theatre which is commanded to stage plays and operas (1756). Creation of the Imperial Theatres
Cinema
The Wife (1927)
Directed by Mikhail Doronin; script by Alexander Dubrovsky; camera by Vasily Khvatov; movie poster by Leonid Voronov and M. Yevstafiev. This is one of the many Soviet films with a message. The assistant director of a textile