Little Hermitage

Includes two pavilions joined by a hanging arch. The northern pavilion was designed by Jean-Baptiste-Michel Vallin de la Mothe and built by Georg Friedrich von Veldten (1764–75). Used for the Hermitage collection founded by Catherine the Great (February 1769). Reconstructed by Vasily Stasov (1840–43). Heinrich Stackenschneider created the Pavilion Room (1851–58). A hanging garden was constructed on the vaults (1764–65). Two galleries were built for Catherine the Great’s picture collection along the hanging garden (1767–75). The southern pavilion was originally two-storied and intended for Catherine’s lover Count Grigory Orlov (1766). Added to during reconstruction of the Little Hermitage by Vasily Stasov (1840–43).

Random articles