Russia St Petersburg Architecture Gates Narva Triumphal Gates

Narva Triumphal Gates

The Narva Triumphal Gates commemorated the Russian victory over Napoleon’s army (1812) and were originally built from wood by Giacomo Quarenghi and decorated by Ivan Terebenyov (1812–14). The gates initially stood on the Narva Highway, between the Obvodny Canal and what is now Stachek Square, before being removed to a site on the Peterhof Highway. The foundations were relaid on 26 August 1827 and the arch was rebuilt from brick by Vasily Stasov and faced with copper leaves by Baron Peter Clodt von Jürgensburg, Stepan Pimenov and Vasily Demut-Malinovsky (1827–34). The new gates were ceremoniously opened on 17 August 1834.

Random articles