Yelagin Island

Yelagin Island was originally known as Mouse Island when St Petersburg was founded (1703). The Russian vice-chancellor Baron Pyotr Shafirov had a summer cottage on the island during the reign of Peter the Great (1682–1725). The island takes its name from one of its former owners, Count Ivan Yelagin, steward of the imperial household during the reign of Catherine the Great, who built the original Yelagin Palace (1780s). After the island was bought by Tsar Alexander I for his mother, Dowager Empress Maria Fyodorovna (1817), it became an imperial summer residence and the palace was reconstructed by Carlo Rossi (1818–22). After the death of Maria Fyodorovna (1828), Yelagin Island became the favourite place of Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna. Alexandra was the honorary chief of the Cavalier Guards Regiment, stationed in the nearby region of Novaya Derevnya. Every year, on the official regimental holidays – 5 September (St Elizabeth’s Day) and 5 October (St Zacharius’s Day) – a Te Deum was held on Yelagin Island. After the service, a military parade was held on Butter Meadow in front of the palace. After the parade, the empress congratulated the regiment. Illuminations were lit and music was played in the evening.

Random Articles

French
Gérard de la Barthe
French artist active in the second half of the eighteenth century and early nineteenth century. Studied under Joseph-Marie Vien. Worked in Russia (1787–1810). Painted a series of views of Moscow and its environs (1794–98),
Jesus Christ
The Agony in the Garden
Christ and the disciples entered the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper. Jesus was overcome with sorrow and prayed to God: “Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, ‘Sit
Mitrofan Grekov Studio of War Artists
Boris Okorokov
Painter. Born in the family of Vladimir Okorokov in Moscow (1933). Studied at the Moscow Secondary School of Art (1948–52) and the Vasily Surikov Institute of Art in Moscow (1952–58). Member of the Union of Artists (1960).
Academic
Pyotr Petrovich Vereschagin
Painter, draughtsman, teacher. Son of icon-painter Pyotr Prokopievich Vereschagin (1795–1843), elder brother of Vasily Petrovich Vereschagin. Studied icon-painting under his father and grandfather in Perm and landscape painting
Illustrator
Yury Vasnetsov
Painter, graphic artist, applied artist, illustrator, theatrical designer, teacher. Born in the town of Vyatka (now Kirov) in the family of a priest called Alexei Vasnetsov, who was the fourth cousin of Victor Vasnetsov and