Lithuanian Castle

Pentagonal building with seven round turrets. Built by Ivan Starov at the intersection of the River Moika and the Kryukov Canal (1783–87). Quarters of the Cavalry Guards Regiment (from 1797), Lithuanian Musket Regiment (1800s) and the Garde Équipage (1810s). Turned into the city prison by Joseph-Jean Charlemágne (1823–26). Reconstructed by Jochen Reymers (1883–84). Set on fire by revolutionary workers and soldiers (February 1917). Ruins were dismantled and replaced with residential housing (1929–30).

Random articles