Griboyedov Canal

Originally called the Catherine Canal. Created at the suggestion of engineer Illarion Golenischev-Kutuzov, who presented Empress Elizabeth Petrovna with a project for a “canal for saving the inhabitants of the capital from the ruinous consequences of flooding.” Laid along the course of the River Krivusha, whose source was joined to the River Moika (1739). Bottom was deepened, banks were strengthened and granite embankments were erected (1764–90). Falls into the River Fontanka at the Small Kalinkin Bridge. Renamed after Alexander Griboyedov (1923).

Random articles