Biographies Russian Aristocrats Stroganov Count Sergei Stroganov

Count Sergei Stroganov

Born: 1794, St Petersburg
Died: 1882, St Petersburg

Statesman, collector, archaeologist. Born in St Petersburg (1794) in the family of Baron Grigory Stroganov (1770–1857) and Princess Anna Troubetzkaya (1765–1824). Played a pivotal role in the development of Russian culture and education in the nineteenth century, raising higher education and the arts to a par with the rest of Europe. Besides fighting in the Patriotic War (1812) and the Crimean War (1853–56), he was a member of the State Council and tutor to the sons of Tsar Alexander II. Devoted most of his life to history, education and the arts. Chairman of the Society of Russian History and Antiquities (1837–74) and founder of the Archaeological Commission, which excavated old Russian towns. Following the traditions of his ancestors, he was an avid collector who put together unique collections of coins and Russian icons, many of which he kept at the Stroganov Palace on Nevsky Prospekt. Died in St Petersburg and buried in St Theodore’s Church at the St Alexander Nevsky Monastery (1882).

Random Articles

Folk Tale
The Cockerel and The Hen
The cockerel and the hen were pecking grains of corn when the cockerel began to feel faint. It sent the hen to the river for some water. The river asked for a leaf in exchange for some water, so the hen ran to the tree and
Favourites of Catherine the Great
Semyon Zorich
Semyon Zorich was a Serb by nationality and adjutant to Prince Grigory Potemkin. Catherine the Great promoted him from the rank of major to her personal aide-de-camp. He spent eleven months with the empress, who awarded him a
Favourites of Catherine the Great
Alexander Vasilchikov
Alexander Vasilchikov came from an old family of Moscow noblemen. A handsome twenty-seven year-old cornet of the Horse Guards (1772), he often served on guard duty at Tsarskoe Selo, where he caught the eye of Catherine the
Cooperative association in Russia. Historically, these were semi-formal associations for various enterprises, such as building, painting, fishing, mining or commerce. Artels often worked far from home and lived as a
Yevgeny Voishvillo
Graphic artist, painter, illustrator, poster and book designer. Born in the Latvian port of Libava (now Liepāja) in the family of naval engineer and amateur artist Valerian Voishvillo (1907). Moved with his family to the north