Sergei Korovin

Born: 1858, Moscow
Died: 1908, Moscow
Movements:
Realism

Painter, graphic artist, illustrator, teacher. Elder brother of Konstantin Korovin. Born in Moscow in the family of an Old Believer merchant called Alexei Korovin (1858). Studied under Vasily Perov, Alexei Savrasov, Vladimir Makovsky and Illarion Pryanishnikov at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1876–86). Awarded two minor silver medals (1879, 1881) and the title of class artist (1886). Travelled along the River Volga (early 1880s), visited Germany and France (1893). Member of the Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1885) and the World of Art (1900), founding member of the Union of Russian Artists (1903). Collaborated with the Rainbow and Russia magazines (1883–84) and illustrated Nikolai Gogol’s The Overcoat (1900–08). Accompanied the Sumy Hussars Regiment on manoeuvres (1887–88), worked on the Soldier series (1880s) and the Battle of Kulikovo panel for the History Museum (1900–08). Taught at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1888–94, 1898–1908). Died suddenly of heart failure at the age of fifty in Moscow (1908). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1879). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1885, 1891, 1893), Moscow Society of Lovers of the Arts (1885, 1886, 1887, 1895), Moscow Fellowship of Artists (1895), 36 Artists (1901, 1902), World of Art (1902, 1903), Union of Russian Artists (1903–08, memorial exhibition in 1909) and a retrospective at the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow (1948).

Random Articles

Ely Belyutin Group
Yury Skopov
Painter, graphic artist. Born in the family of Mikhail Skopov in Yegorievsk in Moscow Region (1948). Graduated from the Abramtsevo School of Art and Industry (1968) and the Faculty of Art of Moscow Institute of Polygraphy
Canal
Kryukov Canal
Dug between the River Fontanka and the River Moika by Semyon Kryukov (1719–20). Named the Kryukov Canal (1738). Granite embankments were built (1801–07). Section between the River Neva and the Admiralty Canal was filled in
Icon Painter
Semyon Spiridonov (Kholmogorets)
Icon-painter. Born in Kholmogory (1642). Worked in the leading artistic centres of central and northern Russia (second half of 17th century). Miniaturist and master of monumental painting. Developed the traditions of late
Lower Park
Peterhof Park
The history of Peterhof begins back in 1704, when travelling chambers were built for Peter the Great on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland. Soon, not far from this place, work began on the creation of a new imperial
Alexandria
Alexandria
During the reign of Tsar Nicholas I, a new imperial residence appeared to the east of the Lower Park at Peterhof. In the early eighteenth century, Peter the Great had presented these lands to Prince Alexander Menshikov, who had