Senate and Synod

Highest government establishments in Russia, founded by Peter the Great (1711 and 1721). The Senate was originally housed on Trinity Square and later moved to the Twelve Colleges building on Vasilyevsky Island. Senate and Synod were awarded the former palace of Count Alexei Bestuzhev-Ryumin and the neighbouring building (1761), reconstructed by Ivan Starov (1790s). Carlo Rossi reconstructed the complex of buildings, which he joined with an arch thrown across the entrance to Galernaya Street (1829–36).

Random articles