Russia St Petersburg Architecture Factory Imperial Glass Factory

Imperial Glass Factory

Constructed by William Elmsell on the River Fontanka (1735). The instruments and masters of the Jamburg Glass Factories were transferred to the factory. Taken over by the crown (1738). Thirty-three people initially worked at the factory, turning, polishing and engraving glass. The carving workshop was headed by Vasily Pivovarov and Dementius Voilokov. Christian Verschtel worked with his son Johann (from 1736). Johann Schott, Kornei Shakhov and Ivan Konerev compiled the glass matter. Works of glass were carved by a team of nine people headed by Vasily Pivovarov and Joseph Piltz. The factory specialised in the production of artistic works commissioned by the Imperial court and private customers. Part of the produce was sold in a special shop on Nevsky Prospekt and then in the Italian Shop. The factory was transferred to the village of Nazyu near Schlüsselburg (1774). Awarded to Prince Grigory Potemkin (1777), who transferred the factory to the village of Ozerki near St Petersburg. Taken over by the crown and renamed the Imperial Glass Factory (1792). The factory at this stage employed 234 craftsmen. Like the Imperial Porcelain Factory, the Imperial Glass Factory worked solely for the court. Its produce was diverse – crystal services, decorative vases and table ornaments designed by such famous architects as Andrei Voronikhin, Carlo Rossi and Alexander Brullov. It also began to manufacture souvenirs, producing glasses, goblets and tankards with engraved views of St Petersburg based on popular lithographs (1830s). Amalgamated with the Imperial Porcelain Factory (1890).

Random articles